Tijuana car accident scam

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      mpdey52

Just after crossing the border at the San Ysidro crossing I proceeded to the freeway on ramp where a car seemingly appeared out of nowhere and sideswiped my vehicle. The car behind me and a TJ cop car stopped right behind me as I pulled over. Both claimed I was at fault and that I had cut the other car off. I never saw the other car and thought it possible but something didn’t feel quite right. I had seen a car sitting at the top of the ramp which seemed odd to me (I wasn’t sure if it was the same car). The TJ cop acted very professional and did not threaten but instead allowed me and the other driver to work it out. Since both the witness and the cop claimed it was my fault I agreed to pay damages to the other driver. It seemed possible that it was all legit. However one week later, again as I entered and headed for the freeway ramp, I spotted a car waiting at the top of the ramp. As I passed the car, it took up a position to the rear and right of my car. I kept my eye on it this time. I slowed down, the car slowed down. I almost came to a complete stop, the car almost came to a complete stop. I sped up and changed lanes proceeding off the ramp and pulling over on the frontage road. The car slowly passed me, then took the next right and headed back to the top of the ramp. It looks like to me they were targeting nice vehicles with a single American driver. I have been driving 2 or 3 times a week in Tijuana for more than 20 years and this is the first time I have ever experienced anything remotely related to a scam. My advice is to stay vigilant and pay attention to your surroundings. These types of scams happen in the USA as well, but with people looking for an insurance payout. It’s a little different in Mexico where you can buy your way out of most trouble with a little cash.

Viewing 0 reply threads
Reply To: Tijuana car accident scam
Your information: